Tuesday 19 April 2022

Newcastle's Oldest House

Following on from my last post...

So my mate, Andy, suggested we start a Friday night's boozing at The Bacchus on High Bridge. I had a little historical story to tell him about this particular spot, though I sadly didn't have any relics to show him this time.

Those of you who have been drinking in central Newcastle for at least a couple of decades may remember the old Bacchus pub. It was completely different to the current affair, though the entrance was in exactly the same place - and, of course, it occupied the same site at 44-48 High Bridge. You may recall that the old pub was completely demolished and a brand new building erected in its place. I distinctly remember visiting there several times in 2000 when Andy (with a little help from yours truly) was involved in the formation of a new Ramblers' Group. The Bacchus, you see, was our first meeting place. 

Then it was flattened, was no more for a year or so, before being rebuilt and reopened with a completely new 'vibe'. And it has been thus ever since.

What I didn't realise myself until quite recently, though, was that they had the archaeologists in during the brief period when the site was a bare patch of ground (2001-02). And, incredibly, whilst they were poking around they found the very first trace of actual prehistoric habitation in the city. That is, they found Newcastle's oldest house. Yes, before the Romans arrived, even.

It wasn't too dramatic, you understand, with the discovery amounting to little more than the faint outline of a Late Bronze Age roundhouse. The breakthrough find (which is a rarity in any urban setting, anywhere) consisted of two curving slots and accompanying postholes, with radiocarbon dating pinning the sketchy remains to around 1,400BC. The structure had an estimated diameter of 11m, and pollen analysis of the soil suggested a 'scrub woodland' environment of hazel and herbs.

The modern-day Bacchus has a maritime theme about it, as you may well know. I'm not sure whose idea it was to go with this look, but I would suggest they missed a trick. Should have gone for 'Late Bronze Age', if you ask me.

And this time I detected a glint of interest in my mate's expression. I think he was genuinely impressed.

Note: I will be giving the subject of Newcastle's pre-Roman history a more thorough airing in the forthcoming Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Fragments of the Past, vol.2.

No comments:

Post a Comment