Friday 2 December 2022

The First Official Boat Race on the Tyne

Anyone who knows anything about the history of sport on Tyneside will be aware of the great nineteenth century tradition of boat-racing. Huge crowds would gather on the banks of the river to cheer on the likes of Harry Clasper, Robert Chambers and James Renforth against the world’s best rowers – and usually beat them – in big-money events. But when exactly did it all begin?

Well, rather than rattle on about it myself, I thought I'd point you towards an excellent online article I read recently entitled The First Official Boat Race on the Tyne. It's a fine effort by Ian Whitehead, and relates to an event which occurred a little over 200 years ago ... and led to what you might call a 'boat-load' of controversy!

Check the piece out here

And whilst I'm referring you to articles about Newcastle and its environs, can I ask you all to let me know of anything you yourself may pick up along the way which you think may be of interest to us local history fans? As long as it relates to Newcastle or the North-East in general then I'll take a look and pass it on to the rest of you. You may, in fact, have written an article yourself which you'd like to publicise.

I'm going to start putting together a list of relevant articles on one of this blog's supplementary pages in the bar above, so do get in touch at micksouthwick @ blueyonder.co.uk (without the gaps) if you can help out.

No comments:

Post a Comment