Thursday 13 April 2023

The William Coulson Memorial

Now and then, I should like to use this blog to simply point the reader in the direction of a particularly interesting article about Newcastle/North-East history which I have fell upon. This is one such occasion.

When I am out and about on my Newcastle wanderings I often pass this fella:


The William Coulson Memorial is situated at the junction of City Road, Walker Road, Ouse Street and Horatio Street - roughly opposite the Bethel Chapel. I didn't know much about this chap, even after I'd read all the various words etched into the monument, front and back.

Then, just the other day I was casually browsing the internet when I came across an excellent piece about him by Sue Syson on the Ouseburn Trust website - see here. I shall not spoil it further for you, so do have a look - there are some interesting tie-ins with other parts of the city.

[Note: Do have a close look at the wording on the reverse of the statue. I just love the reference to "the higher impulses of true manliness and womanliness" ... and wonder what the present-day woke brigade would think of the terminology! 😲]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment