Monday 7 August 2023

Tales from the West End

As a sort of addendum to my book Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Tales from the Suburbs, I thought I'd point you in the direction of a splendid online pdf publication entitled West End Memories: 1952 And All That. If you've an interest in any of the outlying bits of Newcastle beyond, say, the Big Lamp, then you're sure to find it endlessly interesting.

As you may have gathered from my ramblings over the years, the West End is where I grew up - Denton Burn, to be exact. However, my family history in the area (Benwell, Elswick, etc.) goes back to the earliest years of my parents' lives of c.1930. The above e-booklet, therefore, which takes a look at various elements of life in this part of the world stretching back towards this era, fills in a good deal of background info for me - and for anyone else with similar interests.

It was produced in 2022 by the St James’ Heritage & Environment Group - a highly active organisation dedicated to all things West End-related. It was intended as a sort of historical social celebration of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee - and is quite excellent. 

So do have a look at the booklet - as well as the website itself, which is SUPERB (just click on the links above). I have barely scratched the surface of the latter, and there is still so much for me to absorb. It just goes to show you that you can research and write a book on Newcastle's suburbs over a period of some several years (as I did) ... and then find that there is still so much out there to discover. Never stop learning, as they say!

No comments:

Post a Comment