Sunday, 27 September 2026

The Snug, Crown Posada ... At Last!

(click on image to enlarge)

Those of you who have read my most recent tome, namely, Novocastrian: A Newcastle Memoir, may remember me extolling the virtues of that quaintest (and cutest) of Newcastle pubs, the Crown Posada. I have darkened its doors many times over the past four decades or so, and did so once again on Friday gone with my old pal, Andy.

As we entered (and as always), Andy proffered the optimistic possibility of finding a place in the famous snug. I scoffed in hopeless derision, as I have yet to park my backside in this inviting little corner, despite several decades of trying. It's invariably packed out, and we always have to content ourselves with a spot in the rear bar after having forced our way through the unfeasibly narrow confines of the serving area.

However, to our absolute astonishment, this time we found it almost empty. I instantly instructed my drinking partner to secure a table whilst I went to the bar to snaffle two pints of Warsteiner. On gaining my seat a couple of minutes later I was beside myself with excitement, and even took a few snaps to commemorate the occasion. Above can be seen the view from our seats, looking out over those splendid portraits of Richard Grainger, George Stephenson and William Armstrong. 

Those of you who are familiar with the Crown Posada (and quite possibly even been in the snug yourself) will be aware that overlooking the little spot are two fine Pre-Raphaelite stained glass windows. Now as it was dark outside, my photo didn't come out very well - but here it is anyway:


The scene was marvellously quiet ... until minutes later the peace was broken by a gang of men who seemed to be having a long-awaited (and very boisterous) reunion of some sort. They seemed even more excited than I was to find themselves in the restricted confines of the Crown Posada's beautiful little snug. Perhaps it was a first for them, too.

It's been quite a last couple of years for me. a dream holiday Down Under, the birth of my first grandchild, moving house, and even (shock of shocks) the first major trophy for my footie team for more than 50 years. I think this might have topped them all, though! 😉


No comments:

Post a Comment