Thursday 6 October 2022

Ghosts of Heavenfield

Those of you who know a bit about the history of the North-East of England will be aware of the importance of the battle of Heavenfield. To briefly re-cap, this took place in 633 (or 634) AD at a spot just off the present-day Military Road (B6318) about a mile east of Chollerford, and represented the kingdom of Northumbria's greatest Dark Age moment: the military victory that signalled the start of our 'Golden Age'. Basically, Northumbria, in disarray following King Edwin's death, was rescued from falling into the hands of the pesky pagans to the south by Oswald and his army sweeping down from exile in the north. 

He is supposed to have secured the backing of his Christian god before the encounter, raising a cross around which to rally his troops before the clash. Anyway, we won, and the spot has kind of remained sacred to us ever since. I have previously written about the battle here.

Earlier this year my wife and I drove past the spot in question. On a whim, I asked to her to apply the brakes, and off I scurried across the fields to have a closer look at the church in the distance. Naturally, it's called St.Oswald's.

The view from the roadside, complete with replica cross. Church in distance...

... And close up.

Happily, it was open. So in I crept and had a nose around. It was a sober interior, as you can see:

Nothing fancy.

Now you just never know when you're going to trip over a new piece of historical info. This time I was especially taken by the 'hatchment' hanging upon the wall; and, handily placed nearby was a helpful information sheet which suitably enlightened me as to not only this particular example, but to hatchments in general. Anyway, for no other reason than I found it interesting, I reproduce below two images of the hatchment of St.Oswald's Church and the info sheet provided.

Robert Clarke's hatchment, suitably restored.


(click on image to enlarge)

Then, as I was on my way back to the wife/car I came across one of those mounting blocks, situated just inside the graveyard. Don't you just love 'em?


Anyway, that's all I had time for. The wife was probably getting impatient by now...

No comments:

Post a Comment