Wednesday 12 October 2022

The Romans at Denton

Those of you who endured my ramblings about my relationship with the Roman ruins near my childhood home in volume 1 of The Great North-East may be interested in a little further detail. And those of you who didn't ... well, you may want to at least look at the pictures.

So blasé was, and indeed still is, my attitude to the multiple stretches of Roman Wall in Denton, that I didn't even have any personal photographs of them. So the other day I thought I'd put that right and go have a proper look at the ancient specimens in question. We'll have a look at them east-to-west.

OK, then. Remember that the Roman (or Hadrian's) Wall ran roughly along the course, westwards, out of Newcastle, all the way along the West Road and way beyond. If you begin at the junction where Denton Road / Silver Lonnen meet the West Road, then you will see a petrol station - pretty much on the roundabout. It's a busy little corner of the western suburbs; but have a look on the forecourt and you will see our first little taste of the old frontier, thus:


Yes, that's it. But a few yards further on, on the other side of the neighbouring restaurant, can be found:



Yes, and that does say 'Wonderwall' in the background (deary me). Remember, we're celebrating the 1,900th anniversary of the Wall this year.

Moving on through Denton's shops and beyond the footbridge, you will find an especially interesting section of stonework, known as Denton Hall Turret:






As you can see, this is an especially tempting piece of 'climbing frame' material for kids, and I played my part regularly on this old turret half a century ago (OK, I'm not proud).

Finally, a short walk westward (beyond the big roundabout where the West Road crosses the Western By-Pass) brings you to another long stretch of masonry:



After this point the busy A69 sweeps over the course of the Wall; the foundations of the road no doubt containing several ton of scattered Roman rock. That's it, I think, until you get to an especially impressive section at Heddon-on-the-Wall.

And, yes, I'm afraid I did briefly tread on the Wall at Denton Hall Turret ... just for old times' sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment