Tuesday 11 July 2023

Memento of a Wasted Youth

(click on image to expand)

We all wasted our formative years on something or other. For me, the main outlet for my youthful exuberance was following the mighty Black 'n' Whites. 

Well, I say 'mighty' but we were never that good, really. As a fan, I am still waiting for my first piece of serious silverware (I was too young to remember the last trophy in 1969), and have had to make do with the occasional cup final runners-up appearance and a scattering of derby victories. Ho-hum.

Anyway, one of the highlights of my NUFC-supporting days was the promotion season of 1983-84, with a certain Kevin Keegan leading the line. We only finished 3rd, which, these days, would only get you into the play-offs. But back in '84 it got you automatic promotion into the top division. As well as KK, we also had the likes of Terry McDermott, Chris Waddle and Peter Beardsley to entertain us - so it was a great time to be a young lad supporting your local footie team.

Somewhere in one of my cupboards I've still got a VHS videotape of a few of the goals and TV highlights of the season. They've been collected from TV football shows such as Match of the Day and The Big Match - as well as brief excerpts on the local news programmes on a Monday evening. None of the extensive 100% coverage of the present-day - indeed, a good deal of the games had no TV cameras present at all.

I used to collect match-day programmes, of course; but Toon-related apparel was limited back then, with a scarf, hat and occasional pin-badge being about the extent of things. So when the season was brought to its successful conclusion I looked around in despair for a memento or two to remember it all by.

Other than a handful of tatty programmes, all I have to show for those happy days in the Spring of 1984 is the above commemorative glass plate. I must, I suppose, have bought it from the Supporters' Shop in Prudhoe Place - about the only outlet in the entire world where you could get any NUFC-related 'merch' in those days.

I'm not sure what to make of it, really. I suspect that you are not very impressed - and I don't blame you: neither am I. But it has survived intact now for almost 40 years, and currently hangs somewhat forlornly on the wall of my office, overlooking me as I type up this short post. Someday another celebratory item will join it ... if Newcastle United ever win something slightly more substantial, perhaps.

* SIGH * .....

No comments:

Post a Comment