Wednesday 29 November 2023

1929 North East Coast Exhibition 'Memorabilia'


I got bored, I went on eBay, and I came away with another piece of tat. Yes, it's happened again.

The latest purchase is a pair of unused stamps commemorating the famous North East Coast Exhibition of 1929. Held on what we now know as Exhibition Park at the top end of the city centre, the summer-long event was meant to be a sort of 'world's fair', focussing, of course, on local stuff. I'm sure you know all about it.

Anyway, the organisers came up with all sorts of ideas to promote the exhibition; and one way which I wasn't familiar with was the issuing of the above, which were known as 'Cinderella Stamps' (as they were the 'poor relation' of proper stamps). As you can see, they had no value, and weren't 'official' postage, but were instead just used as sticky-on advertisements for letters and parcels. You know, for commemorative / propaganda purposes.

I managed to smuggle them into the house from the postbox when the wife wasn't looking, so don't tell her.


No comments:

Post a Comment