Thursday 7 December 2023

St.Margaret's Chapel, Newcastle Cathedral

Whilst wasting a few minutes waiting for Monday's organ recital at St.Nicholas' Cathedral this week I fell upon a famous little corner of the building, namely, St.Margaret's Chapel. Little more than a wee niche located on the southern side of the interior, the chapel - a surprisingly plain affair - is home to two of the building's most famous historical items: the tiny roundel window of the Virgin Mary & Baby Jesus, and the accompanying 'mystery knight'. Rather than have me reiterate what the handily-placed information boards have to say about them, well, I took some pictures of everything. Click on the images to enlarge 'em - and I apologise for the poor quality of one of the pics...







Wonderful place is St.Nicholas' Cathedral. Do call in for yourself if you get the chance. One final pic, though - here's the fifteenth century font, looking as good as new. My great-great-grandfather, Edward Ward, was baptised here in 1850. What a great start in life ... but it soon went downhill for him and his poor, unfortunate family. Maybe I'll tell you all about him one day.





No comments:

Post a Comment