Thursday 4 April 2024

'Newcastle upon Tyne - A City on the Move'

A couple of days ago I picked up the following 14-page booklet from a local charity shop. Entitled Newcastle upon Tyne - A City on the Move, it loosely outlines the plans of Newcastle's City Planning Officer, Kenneth A Galley. It is undated, and I should be pleased to receive any suggestions as to its publication date. For what they are worth, I will give some observations of my own towards the end of the post. Otherwise, I shall let the little publication speak for itself. Please click on the images to enlarge.
















First of all, I thought "First Division Football", so it must be 1965-1978. Newcastle Polytechnic opened in 1969, so that narrows it down to 1969-78. The A1 still ran up Northumberland Street? Well, I think that was the case until 1970-ish. John Dobson Street being built? Mmm..., I know that opened in May 1970. Then there is mention of Eldon Square Shopping Centre construction "starting this year". Interesting to see that they were still very much considering building a 'Centre Motorway West', as well as an underground east-to-west road. So, I reckon that this has to have been published in late 1969 or early 1970. Then, having scanned the Newcastle City Library catalogue, I see they have it listed as a 1969 effort.

Can anyone categorically confirm this?


No comments:

Post a Comment