Wednesday 27 March 2024

'Northumbrian Words' Website

Just when you think you've exhausted all those internet search results for 'Newcastle' and related words, up pops another website that you've never set eyes on before. And so it was with me the other day when I fell upon the 'Northumbrian Words' website.

Quite when this neat little effort was put together I can't tell - nor indeed do I know if it is still maintained (the entries in the 'Archive' range from 2019 to 2022) - but it is certainly worth a browse for us North-Easterners.

Two things out of the many items to look out for: firstly, an article that claims that 'keel' is England's oldest recorded word; and secondly, an entertaining film featuring those 1970s Geordie favourites, Scott Dobson and Dick Irwin (the link on the site is dead, but the film can be found here).

Happily, I've still got a few pages to get through yet...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment