Thursday 20 June 2024

Return to St.Andrew's Church

A few months ago I posted an article on a visit to Newcastle's St.Andrew's Church - see here. Well, I am going to selfishly run the old gal past you again today - but, I hope, for good reason.

Firstly, here is (Holy) Trinity Chapel on the north side of the church:


There's a bit of info on the chapel on a large brass plaque (and, yes, that is me reflected in the same!):


And more detail can be found here:


So, as you can see, the honking great organ shown on the right of the first picture wasn't moved there until the 1890s. Previously, the font used to be situated on the spot - and this can now be found under the tower:


Don't worry, I shall not keep you any longer than I have to with this trivia. But I just had to tell someone about it. I visited the church to take these photos on 30th May 2024, which just happened to be 200 years to the day since the baptism of my gt-gt-grandmother, Elizabeth Hudson, at that very same font when it was situated in Trinity Chapel. It was kinda odd to be stood in that particular place on the exact date of the bicentennial.

And that 1824 event is the oldest ancestral link I have with my hometown. So the family is now into its third century of association. Just, mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment