Wednesday 20 March 2024

St.John's Church: Not What it Seems!

I'm no expert on religion. I know a few historical bits and bobs about the many churches and chapels scattered around Newcastle, but don't ask me anything about how these places operate - or have operated in the past - as I am worse than a layman when it comes to this sort of thing.

The church of St.John the Baptist at the foot of Grainger Street is one of the few that I thought I had a fairly good understanding of - you know, Anglican/Church of England/Protestant, and one of the four main parish churches of the city centre (OK, I know that All Saints is now an 'Evangelical Presbyterian' concern now, or some such thing). Some time ago, though, I picked up a leaflet from St.John's entitled What Kind of Church is This? ... then promptly stuffed it in a drawer, unread.

I came across it today and had a closer look. Confused, I read it again. I'm still a bit nonplussed, if I'm honest with you. I really need to educate myself more on this religion lark. Anyway, here it is in full (click on images to enlarge):







So. It's Anglican. It's Church of England. It's NOT Protestant, though. And it's a bit Catholic in many of its practices. Officially 'Anglo-Catholic', I think .... Oh, and the Greek Orthodox Church of St. Anthony the Great also worship here. 

I pleased that that's sorted, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment